View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
e46330ivs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by savey49 View Post
1) I quit hockey when I was 16 and 17 years old. I never skated for 2 years as I was concentrating on getting a golf scholarship in the USA. I got back in hockey when I was 18 and played high school hockey. When I was 19 I played for the Sudbury Cubs Tier 2 team and some told Miami of Ohio they should come see a kid from Sudbury. That was in January and they offer me a scholarship after watching me for 2 games.

2) It was the lockout shortened season. Only 48 game schedule. I got hurt and missed 11 games do to a knee injury. I know I played with Turner Stevenson a lot that year but I believe we had lots of left wings come and go. Jacque Demers was an awesome coach. Learned a lot on how to be a professional!!

3) I got drafted after my 1st season at Miami. I didn't attend the draft. Just happy to get draft and excited it was for Montreal. That summer I went to hockey in Minny for 8 weeks and that was the turning point in my career. I had a great 2nd year at Miami. Next summer did the same 8 weeks in Minny. My last year I was MVP of CAHA and our team won the league title. I left right after hockey to join Team Canada for the World Championship in Germany with the NHL players in 1993. Signed with Montreal that summer!!! Interesting way to get to the NHL that is why I always say if you are good enough, be committed and pay the price, they will find you!!
If you would of asked me when I was 18-19 or younger what sport I would of wanted to play professionally if I had the choice it would of been Hockey or Baseball for sure. But now if I had the choice it would be golf, travel from town to town and play some amazing golf courses would be the life. Im sure the stress to perform is a little harder in golf as you have no one else to lean on. You must be close to a scratch handicap or better? What was your favorite track in Montreal or surrounding? I play Islesmere and Fontainebleau quite often during the summer, Im sure you've played Islesmere as Ive seen many former Habs around the course.

e46330ivs* is offline   Reply With Quote