View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 12:35 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
round projected guys that you're really focusing on...but if you focus only on them, you could miss a good performance from a guy getting little ice time who might make a nice late-round pick. Do you allow for guys to surprise you and then go back and make a point to focus on them more next time? Or do you try to watch the game as a whole without zeroing in on anyone specific and whoever impresses you, impresses you?
When I was scouting in the USHL(for a draft magazine, mind you...), I went to the game with a list of 4-5 guys I was going to look to focus on. Now, the USHL isn't dripping with talent, but I usually had a decent sample of kids to pick from at every game and being based in Fargo that season, they had a number of possible kids who were on a lot of boards.

The first half/two-thirds of the first period, I would let the game unfold as a whole. Only making notes on "my guys" if they scored or did something "out of the ordinary". No real deep looks into the analytics of physical/mental skills for this half of the period. I'd be looking for a guy to add to my "list" for the night. For the second half/last bit of the first, I would focus on the bubble guys of the night for the rest of the period on their shifts. To see if they are worthy of a report. On a number of nights, I wouldn't have bubble guys show up in the reports I sent in, but I'd say 25% of the time, there would be.

(this is where it gets more loose)

Second period, I spend more time focusing on the physical attributes of the players on the list. Skating style, shooting ability, passing ability. One-by-one, on each shift. Skating with the puck, skating away from the puck, all that. It's more of an isolated approach. I catch myself watching the player over the action in kind of a 75:25 ratio on the shift. I mean, you can't isolate the player entirely because being in the play also plays a part.

Third period, I focus more on the mental game because the score becomes more important in terms of how the players play. Positioning, drive, discipline, vision are more my focus. Of course, coaching comes into consideration so there is a lot of "well, was he told to do that?" but when it becomes a trend, you can usually figure it's possibly(probably) on the player.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote