View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
I don't know - I want to see NHL hockey, but I for whatever reason would very much like to see the union crushed. You have to think that if/when the league cancels the season the players will be like "WTF did we just do"? And IF that happens, I imagine they will be a long way from the $3.3B in revenues they saw last year - most hardcore fans will likely be back, but there will most definitely be some casualties in the form of the casual fans. Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal and a few others will likely (almost definitely) still be sold out, but some of the softer markets I think will see noticeable decreases in attendance.

It's like baseball - the first couple of strikes and lockouts didn't really hurt attendance, but the 94 strike was the straw that broke the camel's back for a lot of fans - they suffered major drops in attendance coming out of that strike, and a lot of markets have still never recovered (although the McGwire-Sosa thing was HUGE in getting people watching MLB again)

I think this time for the NHL is like the 94 strike for MLB. Last time around a lot of fans understood - whether on the side of the players or the owners, they understood what the owners wanted/needed and why the players did not want it (the cap)

This time? They're bickering on how to split a $3.3B pie. If this season is lost, I wouldn't be surprised to see revenues next year (assuming there would be hockey next year) plummet to $2.5-$2.7B.