View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
If one thing in the entire CBA changes, I would love for it to be the maximum term on contracts. Personally, I'd like to see 5 years, but I have a feeling 7 years will be the final number.

Long contracts do a lot of harm. As others have said, it's traditionally allowed the well heeled teams to offer tons of money, most of it up front, over long periods of time knowing that the tail end won't cost them anything at all, even if the player isn't producing. It also makes it easy for the player to retire or flee overseas. It also prevents the majority of star talent from every hitting the market and giving other teams a chance to improve. It can also put teams in a real bind when they sign these players and they bomb out, because contracts are guaranteed and there's no way to cut them when they stop producing. I love the idea with a 5 year deal where salary paid equals cap hit. It solves SO many problems.

The players are simply going to cry. That's what they do. It's all they do. They already have guaranteed contracts...but...they want it to be guaranteed for 14 years too.

I think the NHL should allow contracts beyond 5 years but just make it clear that frontloading won't be permitted. Annual cap hit will equal total salary divided by number of years on contract. Period.

That alone will keep teams from wanting to sign those ridiculous long term deals. It'll also keep them from signing players long term beyond a certain age. Again...the players will hate this but tough ****.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote