View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 04:08 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It was definitely lots of that. Just saying, on top of that, the centre of French-speaking Quebec wasn't the most inviting place for an Anglophone to start a new (and very important) chapter of their life. Not saying it necessarily was a factor, not saying they were justified in considering it as a factor if they did, but the Anglophone population of Quebec City steadily declined in share by half between 1950 and 2000 (~14%->~8%), so it's not like the Lindros family was unique in their concern about starting out life there as an English-only speaker. And the Association for Canadian Studies attributed that mostly to emigration to other provinces; not increase in French speaking family size, or the like. I think 2006 census (from Wikipedia, mind you) had only 1.5% of Quebec City reporting their mother tongue as English (vs 12-17% in Montreal, for example, depending on metro or the island).

Language, possible exposure in a smaller, "remote", relatively unsuccessful market, and recent civil unrest in the province (didn't even mention the protests/implications etc. associated with Meech Lake as well) could all have affected their decision-making. That, and how hard was Lindros really going to go against the wishes of his father at 18.
Look, all that you're saying makes sense. And facts are facts; you're absolutely right on those. One thing though; it's probably way easier to live in English in Quebec city, than to live in French in every other city who has an NHL team (save for obviously Montreal and Ottawa)

Now, turn things around :

What would happen if a very high-profile French-speaking junior player would refuse to report to the team that drafted him and insisted to play for a team where he could speak and live in his "native language" (in other words, that means "trade me to Montreal OR Ottawa now, or I don't sign, you lose a pick, and so long s***ers)

What would be the perception of that guy around..., well, EVERY OTHER MARKET, especially the one where the team that drafted him plays, and in the NHL as a whole?

Presumably bad. With cause.

You're saying that Lindros did just that (I think the small-market, sponsorship issue is more important). Funny thing is, if Quebec would join the league again, they'd probably be in the upper half for sponsorship money opportunities at the moment.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote