Thinking about coaching
View Single Post
11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Join Date: Jan 2012
I have coached for years now, ages 4-8 and I love it.
A few points or suggestions to go along with a lot of the ones already metioned:
- You are trying to make better people, not just better hockey players.
- My goal is to get all the kids to want to play again next year; it needs to be fun
- The best coaches are the best thieves. Steal drills, ideas, techniques, anything you can.
- Ensure all the coaches are on the same page
- Ensure the parents understand the team rules and goals. Ice time, discipline, positions
- Delegate. You can not do everything yourself. Try to get all the parents to have a responsibility
- Make a practice plan ahead of time and know what you are going to be doing during practice.
- Challenge the kids but back off if need be
- Always try to set up the kids for success. eg If you have a new kid in net, try playing them against a weaker team or give them stronger players on defense to help.
This is all I have for now, if you would like me to elaborate, let me know.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Isbrant