View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
temper your expectations leaf fans. This kid will be good but no one defense prospect is a lock for the first pairing at 18 years old at this point in time.

I am a leaf fan, and I am excited about him. But he has about as good of a chance to end up on the third pairing as he does the first right now.
I think most Leafs fans see him spending this season in the WHL, then having a solid shot to make the Leafs on the bottom pairing a year from now. Ideally it would be great to get him some AHL experience right now, but obviously that's not possible.

His skating, puck handling, and general abilities with the puck are all NHL level already, but I have a feeling it'll take some time for him to learn what he can and can't get away with against men in the AHL/NHL. He's very aggressive offensively right now, as he should be at the WHL level, but when starts playing against pros he'll need to learn to pick his spots better. Also, like most offensive dmen, it'll likely take him a few years of pro experience to start becoming solid in his own end. His potential is outstanding, he does remind me of guys like Erik Karlsson (without the insanely good shot), Kris Letang (without the nasty edge), and Brian Campbell, but I think the vast, vast majority of Leafs fans realize that he's just 18, and when he breaks into the NHL it'll be as as a bottom, not top pairing dman.

Last edited by ponder: 11-09-2012 at 06:51 PM.