View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I'd wager that half the hockey fans in the GTA don't even know what junior hockey is, unless their kids happen to be drafted to an OHL team.

If your allegation that there is just too much to do in Toronto is true, why do the Vancouver Giants draw so well? There is every bit as much to do in or near Vancouver during hockey season. In fact, when you take into account the mountains, there's likely more to do in Vancouver than there is in Toronto.

Toronto doesn't support any hockey that isn't the Leafs, unless their kids are on the team. I'm not sure why anyone gets offended by that.
There are the Raptors, who play concurrently. The Blue Jays don't directly compete, but from an overall business sense, they are after the same dollars. I think their presence makes a difference because now they become the economically reasonable sports options after the absurd prices of the NHL. MLB and NBA are what people are seeing on TV, so that is what is important.

You need to get far enough away from that to have a strong OHL fanbase. It is just the culture (for better or worse) of the area. Hell, I am as guilty as anyone. I grew up in Ajax and went to all of maybe seven or eight Generals games in my life. And zero Brampton, Mississauga or Toronto teams (though that is part of the problem. Who wants to endure Toronto 5-8 p.m gridlock to watch anything, nevermind hockey that isn't the Leafs).

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote