View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 07:01 PM
kcoxsabresfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Well I'm getting ready to apply to universities now and will be applying to brock for sports management
Burke's article is a good place to start. Recognize you will almost certainly not be a GM, but could potentially gain employment in the vast supporting, and less glamorous, world of hockey.

Burke recommended attempting to get an internship with a team. I can confirm this is a smart move. I worked for the Sabres in hospitality alongside many interns before I moved away from Buffalo. The Sabres employ interns from Canisius, Buff State, and UB, and several back office employees there came from these programs. If you can't get an internship, try to get employed by a club in some other way. The saying 'its not what you know, its who you know," is much much truer than you think. In my non-hockey hospitality position, I was able to meet Pegula, Regier, Ruff, Ted Black, Cliff Benson, Ken Sawyer, a whole host of players, ticket, pr, scouting, coaching, and game day/logistical staff, and actually Brian Burke himself during world juniors. Knowing people goes a long long way towards actually getting a job in sports, or any other white collar profession.

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote