View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I do think the Lupul, Kadri and conditional 1st deal makes the most sense for both sides. The Nucks get a guy who could really help them in the present (Lupul), as well as a solid prospect to make up for the difference in value. Other than playing with Kessel, Lupul was at his best playing on Jeff Carter's wing with Philly, and Carter is a somewhat similar centre to Kesler (big, fast, 2-way game, great shot, more of a shoot first than pass first guy). I think a line with Lupul and Kesler could be one of the absolute best 2nd lines in the league, and could be a big step towards returning the Nucks to their dominant offensive form from 2010/11.

I wonder if this trade could be worked as a 3-way, with Kadri going to a 3rd team for a solid 3rd line centre to the Nucks? For example, something like Kadri for Frans Nielsen?
- Isles: Kadri in; Nielsen out
- Leafs: Schneider in; Lupul, Kadri and conditional 2014 1st (if Lupul doesn't re-sign) out
- Nucks: Lupul, Nielsen and cond. 1st in; Schneider out

This would be an absolute killer lineup for the Nucks:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Lupul
Higgins - Nielsen - Hansen
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Bieksa - Hamhuis
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Luongo
Lack

Looks considerably better (on paper) than the team that went to game 7 of the finals with the Bruins. They could return to being an offensive powerhouse that never lets up and scores like crazy with every line, as opposed to last year when they were relying a bit too much on the Sedin line.
If the Leafs were game for this, I would definitely pull the trigger for the exact reasons you have outlined. While Schneider is believed to be a franchise tender, this would make us a juggernaut now and it is not as though Luongo is anything to scuff at. In addition, Lack has been cited to have a comparable future ahead of him.

Not certain if Long Island would but this does solidify the needs of both Vancouver and Toronto. I do suspect some could be gun shy in dealing Lupul though considering the loss of scoring. JVR would hopefully make up for it though.

Alas, I do agree with your assessment on Luongo being traded over Schneider. While I do not perceive that as necessarily bad, Schneider will bring us a better return, we have other goaltending prospects and from a squarely Leaf perspective, he is who I would chase more aggressively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
The values are so different.

Gardiner + 1st >>> Lupul + Kadri + 1st
Not necessarily. Lupul just came off a PPG season on an otherwise awful team. There is nothing to indicate he could not replicate, or even exceed those stats on a better one. The extra first is the balancer.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote