11-09-2012, 07:51 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I agree MacKinnon is the better prospect, but Barkov could be better. Barkov's lack of explosiveness is an issue though, which means there are valid concerns about his offensive upside. There's a very good chance he ends up as another Mikko Koivu - which is definitely not a bad thing by any means, but he might not "take over" offensively. On the other hand he's better than Koivu at the same age and he has better vision than MacKinnon currently has, so I wouldn't count out Barkov as the best player in the draft.

But between MacKinnon's speed, shot and grittiness (Barkov can be physical but he lets it come to him more than the other way around), it would take a lot for Barkov to surpass Mac.
The comparison I've come up with for Barkov based on my limited viewings is Johan Franzen. Big but not especially physical, willing to battle for pucks, able defensively, not a brilliant skater, great at creating havoc in the crease, possessing a heavy wrister and always leaving you wanting a bit more.

Quote:
I really like Drouin and I do love skill players above all else, but I do agree that Drouin has risks some of the other prospects do not. Between the Habs needing skilled winger badly and Drouin being from Quebec I see why everyone here is dying for him..but I'd be hesitant to trade up for him especially if he's going to go at or near the top 5. Obviously it depends on where the Habs draft, but I'm not quite ready to equate him with Mackinnon, Barkov and Lindholm.
I agree with that assessment...and don't get me wrong, if we somehow landed Drouin, I'd be incredibly excited. But I'm not ready to call him a slam dunk pick yet.