View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Has anyone done a study yet of the effect of players leaving for WWII had on the O6 teams?
the best study I know of is by hfboards poster arrbez (who seems to have retired from the website after winning the last All Time Draft):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
This is my quickie study of the War Years. I took each team's 1941 roster (in order of points scored) and showed which players left which year. One thing this can't account for is the young players who never got a chance to join the league from 1942-1945. It also omits 1946, which was still very much affected by the War.
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spr...5TlVaalE&gid=0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Yet they also won the SC the four season after WWII - Montreal in 1946, Toronto in 1947 to 1949. Plus Toronto won in 1942 and 1951 while Detroit won in 1943 and 1950. Rather clear indication that with or without WWII the Bruins with Brimsek were not going to make it happen between 1942 and 1951.
The thing is that young players who left to join the military lost 2-3 years of key development. So I think it's likely that teams that were more affected by the war would remain affected for several years afterwards. I don't think it's a coincidence that Toronto and Montreal remained the dominant NHL teams for a few years after the war, basically until a new generation in Detroit emerged.

The hows and whys of which players left for the war and which didn't could be a very interesting thread itself. But I'm pretty sure that it was a bit easier to get draft deferments in Canada than in the United States. I know for sure that Montreal in particular put for a lot of effort to get draft deferments for its best players.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote