View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 09:20 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I think Coburn is a fairly decent comparison. Big dman, responsible defensively, not a truly dynamic offensive player, but well rounded, can pass, shoot and move the puck. Jason Garrison isn't a bad one either, though a bit more of a puck mover with a bit less of a bomb from the point. I can see Alex Edler as somewhat of a maximum upside projection, but he'd need to get a lot more confident and aggressive offensively.
I would be very happy if Reinhart develops into a Coburn type. I'd do cart wheels if he's more like Edler. It's nice to have a premium defense prospect like big Griff in the Isles system, we haven't had one like him in quite some time.

Quote:
I tend to think that the CHL is a great place to develop your offensive game, because top prospects will get a lot of offensive responsibility, and can try out new moves more easily in the CHL than the NHL. The NHL seems like a better place for prospects to develop their 2-way game, and to remove bad habits. Reinhart is already pretty solid in terms of safe, 2-way play, but to maximize his potential it'd be nice to see him be more aggressive and confident offensively. I have to think the CHL is the best place for him to develop in that regard. He might be "ready" to be a #6 dman for the Isles, but that's probably not the best way to help him reach his potential.
My sentiments mirror yours. I'm of the opinion that Reinhart would best be served playing this year and the next in the CHL to do exactly what you described. It would really give him the time to refine his game and in an environment conducive to success. I'm very willing to wait for him to be as prepared as possible so that his transition to the NHL is as smooth as possible.

Now, we are the New York Islanders. We've become infamous for pulling some 'WTF?' moves over the years. From all the reports about Reinhart, his defensive game is very advanced and he's got the size to be able to compete with the big boys. He's got the tools to be more of an offensive force, but he's not getting the opportunity right now. If the lockout ends, I'm very afraid the Isles brass gives him the 9-game stint and he plays solid. All of a sudden the thought of 'we can develop him better here than back in Edmonton' starts creeping into the minds of Snow or whoever else in the organization. It's a very possible scenario, especially considering the status of the Isles defense corps. I pray my fears are unwanted.

My mind tells me that this regime has been patient with the defense prospects. Hamonic, Calvin de Haan, Matt Donovan, and Aaron Ness have all been allowed to develop at a decent pace. Hamonic is kind of a special case as he's developed quite quickly and CDH has been hampered by injuries, but they were both allowed to finish their Junior careers and spent time in the AHL. None of them were as highly regarded as Reinhart though. I'm just very curious as to how things go with his development because it could go either way. I hope they learned something from another 'tweener' named Nino last year.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote