View Single Post
Old
11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
cam042686

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I still think the Oilers win in 7 games. I agree, you are hard pressed to bet against a prime Gretzky. Of course we all know Orr is almost, if not equally, intimidating at that time. When you look at it, those teams were BOTH offensive juggernauts. The Bruins had 399 goals that year the most ever from a non-Oiler team. The '86 Oilers had 426 so give them the slight edge.

But like another poster said I think it comes down to goaltending. We witnessed Fuhr rise to the occasion in a high scoring affair (1987 Canada Cup) and that's exactly what this would be. I'm not sure we've ever seen Cheevers rise to the occasion at a time when he was peppered with shot after shot and dangerous scoring chance after dangerous scoring chance. The Boston defense was good, but would not be able to contain the Oilers. I think Cheevers would be more likely to cost the Bruins a game than Fuhr. Another poster asked if he is the worst goalie in the HHOF. Hey look, I have no problem with Cheevers in there but yeah I think he might be the worst in there and that isn't a knock either since the HHOF is very strict on goalies.

But Fuhr would help be the difference. He was more clutch. And let's not forget the top end talent. While Gretzky and Messier are pretty much the equivalent of Espo and Orr at that time, who do the Bruins have that can match up to Kurri? Their next best is an older Bucyk and a prime Hodge. Not sure that's good enough. Plus there is Anderson. Also the wild card is Coffey. If we're assuming Orr is matched up with Gretzky who stops Coffey? No one, I don't think.

Oilers in 7
I think you may be forgetting that Boston had 2 of the best ever defensive forwards in Derek Sanderson and Ed Westfall. Don Marcotte was also pretty good. The Oilers had nobody who could play defense like these guys. The Bruins also had a nasty edge to them that the Oilers lacked. Ted Green, Wayne Cashman, Derek Sanderson were very good players - and as nasty as anyone that has ever played. If messier and/or Anderson tried some of their cheap stuff someone like Sanderson would have handed their heads to them.

Bruins in 6. The Oilers defense would have been swamped by the Bruins. They never faced a team with 2 lines as good as Bostons and a 3rd line that was not only great defensively - but very dangerous offensively as well. And we have not even touched on a certain Mr. Orr yet.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is offline   Reply With Quote