View Single Post
Old
11-10-2012, 12:07 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Actually, I have as good a handle on Despres' potential as anyone. He was the Pens' best defenseman outside of Letang in his call-ups last year in good part because he used his skating and passing to jumpstart transition, and the two worked seamlessly together. No reason why his reasonable ceiling shouldn't be ~30 points in the NHL.

Of course, his draft position, junior, and international success would've suggested as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovesLikeJagr68 View Post
While I agree that this proposal is pretty extreme, to say that Stone is a potential 1st liner while Despres is only a potential 2nd pairing d-man is a bit unfair. In the minimal amount of games Despres has had in the NHL so far he showed he was capable of playing up to 2nd pairing minutes already. In only 18 games. He's only 21.
Disagree completely.

Stone had 123 points in his last junior year, which is exceptional. He's big and has a variety of offensive weapons. 1st line potential for sure.

When was the last time a Penguin had that many points in junior? Sidney Crosby.

Despres never really came close to a point per game in junior. He had 15 points in the AHL last year. I have a VERY hard time believing he has 30 point potential in the NHL. Even if he did, he would have to be Very good defensively to be considered a 1st pairing d-man.

Despres was sheltered big time in the NHL in 2011-12. He started very few shifts in the defensive zone. He played against very weak competition, always the opponent's worst players. How can you possibly say he's shown the level of a 2nd pair guy already? If he did, he would have played full time in the playoffs. If he did, Engelland and Lovejoy would not be ahead of him on the depth chart.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote