Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars23 View Post
Lots of people are trying to use Feds NHL stats to devalue him, using their own logic, but in Best on Best play International competitions, Feds PPG rate is '''Higher than Forsberg, Jagr and Joe Sakic''', but many people here will disregard it because it can't be refuted.
I don't want to devalue his ability, he was a great player. Let's be reality here... Fedorov wasn't going to "dominate the scoring lists" as some claim. Maybe he wins the Ross over Gretzky in '94, but I already give him similar credit for winning Hart/Pearson and leading in ES points that season. After that, he has a few other very good seasons, a few great playoffs and was very good in international play.

If Fedorov was so good in international play, why did he not have much best on best success, despite playing on one of the very best teams? Do you really think, for instance, that if you put Fedorov on the Czech teams instead of Jagr, that they would have been better and had more success? I don't, I think they would have been worse and had less success, but that's JMHO.

That's not to say Fedorov isn't underrated by many and that his longevity and defensive ability shouldn't help his case. In fact, I think it does... it puts him above Kariya, makes it an interesting argument vs. players like Forsberg, Selanne, Lindros, etc.

It just seems absurd to use a handful of international games, played in far off lands every few years, with large disparities in the quality of teams and the equality of schedules, to use as a primary determinant of the quality of players who played most/all of their careers in the NHL. There are similar problems with NHL playoffs, but there's usually a much more substantial body of work to at least give a good indication of how good the player was. Fedorov's weakness may have been that he wasn't really a game-breaking, game-changing force for but a few short years (maybe ~5 seasons at most).