View Single Post
Old
11-10-2012, 04:57 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
I agree for the most part. However Bryan Murray had years to bring in a quality nhl starter and he failed to deliver. Murray very well may have cost us two cups.
Cheveldae finished 10th in voting for the all-star team in 1990-91, 5th for the Vezina and all-star team in 1991-92, and 7th for the Vezina in 1992-93. At the beginning of the 1991-92 season, Murray had traded for Vincent Riendeau, who had finished 6th (all-star) and 7th (Vezina) the year before. Riendeau was injured halfway through his first start as a Wing.

Wings teams before that 1991-92 team had many more problems than clutch goaltending; acquiring a goaltender wouldn't have won them a Cup. In 1992-93, Cheveldae had comparable RS numbers to Patrick Roy, and was clearly considered one of the league's better goalies at the time. He wasn't money in the playoffs, but nobody was when compared to Roy. It wasn't until Osgood showed up the next fall and ripped the starting job from his hands that people looked at him and said "WTF?" and questioned his career-to-date. Essensa, who had been a Vezina finalist in 1992, was pretty comparable to Cheveldae as I had said before. So that deal didn't make much sense. Osgood was ejected from the starter role after the deal, but stole it back for the remainder of the RS, until Bowman put the vet in for the playoffs (and Essensa dropped the ball) before realizing how much better Osgood was than Essensa. Murray wasn't perfect, but he did a pretty decent job. That Drake trade does grate on my nerves though because there was no need to give him up.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote