View Single Post
Old
11-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Matsi
got paws?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I feel bad for Cheechoo. He will always be remember as a flop, but the guy was a damn good player before his injuries.
Thank you so much for posting this.

Those who label him a flop/one-hit-wonder just have no clue and either don't know what sports hernia is or they simply don't care about the important "details" that killed his NHL career. To knowledgeable fans, however, he should be remembered as a very talented hockey player with excellent work ethic, a lot of heart and a terrible (NHL-career-ending) injury.

But there are other rather names thrown around that don't belong in this thread...

Scott Gomez? He used to be one of New Jerseys best players for many years, and I don't think it's accurate to - under any circumstances - link his name with the descriptive words "worst player".

Jason Blake? Not a stellar offensive threat, but the guy has always been a very good two-way forward who didn't embarass himself while playing a top-six role.

Petr Prucha? Very talented player, but it just didn't work out for him in the NHL. Too bad, since it didn't have anything to do with his offensive skill. I don't know what went wrong, there were probably several factors - transition from european hockey to north american, confidence issues, lack of defensive awareness.

And, before someone throws his name in, I'd like to remind that Daymond Langkow used to be an outstanding top-six two-way-center for a very long time.

There's much more to a player than his offensive skills. A player's value can't be determined by taking only his offensive game into account. I think "offensively least gifted player to score 30 goals" would have been a more appropriate title to thise thread.

So my vote is... Chris Clark - I could hardly believe his 20-goal-season in 05/06 and never thought he'd top it, so his 30 goals the season after more than surprised me. Hard work, tenacity and the right attitude coupled with mediocre skills works out more often than exceptional potential coupled with bad work ethic - at least long time.

Last edited by Matsi: 11-10-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote