View Single Post
Old
11-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
See, funny how individual perspective leads to the same bits of info creating a completely different way of interpreting events...

I much more understand MB's decision not to be in the running then I did PG's.

- coming off a disastrous, last in the conference finish, expectations (both internal & external, even in Montreals demanding market, are tempered)... Which means a bigger window to build towards 2-3 years down the road. No real need to spend 4
But Bergevin was willing to spend much more to acquire Doan. This gets forgotten in all discussions. So yes, Bergervin is building for down the road, yet he still wanted to fill the hole in the top 6 and was willing to offer Doan more money and for more years than Jagr. Actually Jagr could have benefited us even if we don't make the playoffs or don't do well because he becomes an asset.

Quote:
- uncertainty around cba, and potential for changes that could force some teams to move contracts &/or. Encourage buy outs = potential positive to having greater cap/salary flexibility
Like I said, Bergevin was willing to go for Doan even though we didn't have the cap space. This didn't bother Bergevin in Doan's case, so I really doubt this was Bergevin's mindset.

Quote:
- new coach and clear organizational desire to shift locker room culture not an ideal situation for a veteran like jagr.... While he did mesh well in his role in Philly, the dynamics were very different given top9 talent they have. Personally I'd have made a strong attempt to get him here, but I can see the rational of not wanting to make him 2nd highest paid fwd on our team.... He's a one-dimensional contributor at this stage, and while we need help in that dept., there is an ego/salary reality always at play in a pro sport team environment.
He's one dimensional, but we have very little players with skill on the team. We already have a lot of meat and potatoes type of players with Pacioretty, Cole, Armstrong, Bourque, Moen, Prust. Of course some of these players are better than others, but none of these guys are pure skill guys. Bergevin talked about balance, we lack players like Jagr on the team. Also the Plekanec connection is just a big time bonus as well as the fact there is a big hole in the top 6 and Jagr would only be on a one year deal.

Quote:
- a few very interesting contracts are up next summer, cap flexibility (new cba notwithstanding) may be a valuable commodity if a team decides to get trade value for an impending UFA we think we could extend beyond next season (perry, getzlaf, semin, zakat, flippula, clowe, Horton, iginla, elder, clarkson... All players who would be great medium-long term additions & much easier to secure via trade & sign then by waiting/hoping they hit UFA & choose us
Again while this is true, it still didn't stop Bergevin from being willing to spend whatever was left on the cap on Doan and what he was asking for. While it is true that contracts are up next year, it clearly wasn't what Bergevin was thinking considering he was willing to spend much more money on Doan for much longer.

Quote:
I've more than described the reasons jagr to Mtl last season made a ton of sense, imo, and aside from the "tragic" miscalculation by the GM (and coach? Not ever made clear how much personnel input Martin had, though his Cole comments early in the year, and the timing of his firing, IMO suggest PG ran the ship his way first and foremost) its hard to see any reasonable excuse for why we didn't push hard for him last year.
We had very little cap space after we signed Cole last season, who was a bigger need than Jagr considering the team's lack of size of physicality. Cole was a better fit despite his contract. You can easily use your "attitude and culture" excuse for Bergevin's non-signing with why PG and Martin didn't want him, namely that he didn't fit the system the team had in place. Considering that we had greater offensive depth at the begining of the last year, especially after the signing of Cole and very little this season, then it makes much more sense to have picked up Jagr this season, especially when Bergevin was looking to fill the hole in the top 6 when he was waiting around for Doan.

Quote:
Getting Cole (though at the time I hated the contract term... Still skeptical he will deliver decent value in year 4, & year 1 was a waste, but he did play up to/beyond expectations, hope he ages well) addressed some needs, but it was pretty obvious we needed more top 9 depth. Max pac's recovery was a big ? and even with him and cole having stellar seasons, a lack of top 9 depth killed us early on. Jagr would have been a perfect fit, both in hindsight and at the time.
Like I said, the non-signing of Jagr was easier to swallow last season considering we picked up Cole instead, after which there was little cap space left. Cole was more of a fit on the team last year anyway considering the way the discourse around the team's lack of size and meat and potatoes game that was caused after losing the in the Boston series.

The team's top 9 at the start of last season was

Pacioretty Desharnais Cole
Cammalleri Plekanec Gionta
Andrei Eller Gomez/Moen

Unless you put Gomez on the 4th line, there really wasnt that much more space in the top 9 last year.

Quote:
He'd be nice to have this year, if we play, as well, but less of a need (given that our organizational changes & new direction almost imply a patient approach & muted expectations, at least in year 1)
but this impatient approach is one you are reading into management's intention rather that what was there. The waiting around for Doan made it clear that Bergevin intended on having a competitive team this season. If it was really about rebuilding then we wouldn't have wasted his time with Doan like he didn't waste his time with Jagr. Given the hole in the top 6, the chemistry with Plekanec, our crappy PP, and the general lack of pure skill in the lineup, Jagr would have been a much better fit this year if Bergevin was looking for a top 6 foward, which he was as he explicitly stated this when he explained why he wanted Doan.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote