View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 11:13 AM
checkerdome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
Thanks for the insightful posts, kajoo, those were a good read. Can't say the same about the original article.
I totally agree.

As a North American, I found the following comments by "kajoo" very illuminating:

"NHL franchises on the other hands are independent companies that dont rely on that kind of support/sponsorships. Little emotional ties between club/city, franchises can move whenever they want if they dont find the business environment attractive enough."

"Neither sports in Europe makes profit, thats european way of doing sports. And I see nothing wrong with it, club owners put their money down the toilett while making money elsewhere, owning club is matter of prestige, leisure activity for them."

"...50 bucks for family is no peanuts either, at least not in country where average wage is 23,600 rubles ($790)."

As illustrated by this article, it appears easy for a writer to fall into the trap of filtering everything through the prism of North American socio-economic realities, to the detriment of perfectly legitimate realities elsewhere.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote