View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Umm...Phaneuf for...trash. Gardiner and Lupul for...Beauch...Kessel for picks (not a clear win but at the time it was just picks), Franson/Lombo for Lebderp.JVR for Schenn..5 trades...5 different teams, yup, clearly Burke is being blackballed.
We've been over the Phaneuf trade...it's horrible in hindsight, but Hagman, Stajan and White were playing very good hockey the year before and year of the trade.

Lupul was nothing more then an overpaid second liner in Anaheim's eyes, and Beauchemin had been instrumental as one of the "big three" a few years ago with Niedermayer and Pronger, lofty names for anyone to be lumped in with. I don't think Gardiner would have been as hyped in Anaheim's system as he is in Toronto's either. I may be wrong on this point, but Fowler and at the time Schultz were also in the system.

Franson is very overrated, and Lombardi was a cap dump for Nashville. Ehrhoff/Lukowich from San Jose was a great move by Gillis too, and he gave up less then Lebda. If we're using cap dump trades as a basis for our respective GM's negotiating tactics, I think Gillis wins that one hands down.

JVR for Schenn was a good trade for both teams on paper, but we'd need to see how it plays out.

Kessel for picks, and I should mention the Kaberle trade there too, were almost no brainers for Boston. Picks for a guy they can't resign for what they think he's worth, and not to mention two of the picks ended up being top ten (again hindsight), is the best they could hope for. Kaberle for Colborne+1st wasn't all that bad either. Toronto has another good prospect they drafted with the pick, and a prospect that seems very likely to make the NHL, even as a more defensive oriented forward, for a guy Boston was expecting to make a huge splash. He didn't, but Boston's consolation was a cup.

I agree he's not being blackballed, but the "stubborn" attitude that a lot of Leafs fans admit he has creates friction with his peers. All the trades you've mentioned, and the one I did, were expected to be mutually beneficial, and I think he lost as many as he clearly won (Kessel vs. Phaneuf being the only clear loss/win scenarios, the other 4 had the teams achieve what they wanted as well).