Thread: Proposal: Van-Tor-Wsh
View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Raymond in '10-'11 had 39 points vs Macarthur's 62, in what World is that basically the same? I guess Kessel was basically the same as Malkin this year.

I've already acknowledged that Macarthur's season was less than stellar last year, but in all likelihood he's a better playmaking winger than every player on your team not named Sedin. Even with a linemate shooting 6% below his career average and some time spent on the 3rd line, Macarthur only had 2 less assists than Higgins.

Anyways, the point is you didn't just say 'I don't want Macarthur', you said he couldn't crack the Canucks top 6 and that he 'clearly isn't' a playmaking winger, which he is. The point is you didn't know what you were talking about and in the very same post you were extremely critical and condescending towards another user for the same thing. Furthermore, if you want to gain a playmaking winger in a Luongo trade I don't know why you wouldn't want Macarthur.
The year before last was his career season so far. To be perfectly honest, that seems to be more of an exception then last year. Toronto pick him up from Atlanta, who deemed him absolutely expendable. For that matter, Buffalo too. He topped 31 points as his highest total before coming to Toronto.

If he were to come to Vancouver, how ever that may be, he's still in direct competiton with Burrows, Daniel and Booth, whom I don't think he will unseat, and Kassian, Higgins, Raymond and possibly Hansen for a second line winger spot with Kesler and Booth. Higgins has the chemistry with the other two, so in most of our eyes, the spot is his to lose to Mac or the other three. The point I want to make is that he would have to earn the remaining top six spot against 4 other players who's career numbers look a lot like Mac's did prior to, what I hope for his and Toronto's sake is, his break out year.

There is also concern he may not make the Leafs top six with JVR being added, with Kessel, Bozak, Lupul, Kulemin, Grabovski and JVR, according to some, taking the top six positions in Toronto.

And if we're basing a style of play as reason for him to get the spot above the others, he is advertised as a playmaker by most Leafs fans, his career goals to assists ration is 85:108. Meaning with out the 20 assists extra he put up the year before last, it would almost be even. That isn't a playmakers kind of ratio. That's not me knocking his skill, just I don't think he'd be a guarenteed improvement over what we could have already.

Anyway, he's not guarenteed a spot, so saying he absolutely wouldn't make the Canucks top six might be over the top, but we don't want another "maybe", and if it isn't for sure, or even more then likely, we're not calling him a top six winger on our team.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote