View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
it is possible the KHL rips up that agreement for an OVechkin, but that's a risky move that might cost them big time in the future.
I doubt it... when has the NHL ever helped the KHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Czech Your Math, what part of this lockout are you not understanding? This lockout is on BOTH sides, the employer is not outright telling the employee he can't work, they are trying to get a deal done to get the players back, as the players are also trying to get a deal to play again. This is NOT unilateral situation. It is on BOTH sides they have agreed not to play.

Yes yes it's a "lockout", but the reality is there is NO OTHER CHOICE in pro sports these days, mostly due to Mr Fehr and his shenanigans in baseball, you cannot play with no CBA nowadays, it almost always ends in the players screwing the owners.

The players signed a valid contract knowing full well it was subject to the CBA, which very well may expire and cause this. The players want to end it, sign the owners last agreement. I am not pro owner here, it works vice a versa as well, but to make outrageous claims that the employer is unilaterally preventing the players from working is plain wrong.
My main beef is with the owners: they were willing to cancel a whole season, got just about everything they wanted... subsequently increased revenues since then... and most of the teams still can't make money.

Find a multi-billion $ business that has cost certainty tied to revenues in almost the exact manner they want... increases revenues substantially for several years... and has difficulty turning a profit. If you could find such an entity, I doubt the management stayed intact for ~20 years.

The owners need to get serious about settling this thing soon. Once this season is gone the NHL marginalizes itself as being on par with lacrosse and women's golf. Once the 2014 Olympics have been played, it's possible some Russians say "later dudes" and go back to the KHL for good. Probably make more money, play a funner style of hockey (not dump and chase... or duck and cover), shorter schedule, home country, and no lost season every 5-10 years. No worries though, as long as Crosby is around for 30 games/season, the NHL should have plenty of star power.

I think it's really between the big market teams (just how much they're willing to give to smaller teams) and the big star players (the lesser players know they drive the game and salaries). Maybe it'll take the NHL losing some stars and some of its marginal teams before sh** gets real enough to actually resolve the situation.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote