Thread: Proposal: Van-Tor-Wsh
View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
I can't speak for Macarthur before he came to the Leafs, because he wasn't really a played I paid that much attention to, but just looking at the stats in the year he was traded (which by the way, he recorded more than 31 points), he was the 5th highest scoring forward on Atlanta with the 9th most ice time per game among forwards.

Regardless, I'm not sure why people seem to think a change of scenery and a chance at a top 6 role can't revitalize a guy's career (even excluding 2010-2011, he had 8 more points in 8 less games than his previous career high in 2011-2012, and this is with a completely snakebitten linemate shooting 6.5%), and I can assure you despite whatever his stats before coming to Toronto may say, the 'new' Macarthur is a passer. If you don't want him, fine, but I'm not sure who you guys are expecting when you say you want a playmaking winger as a part of the Luongo trade if you're so sure Macarhthur isn't good enough. It is a fact that Macarthur has more assists in a single season than any Canucks winger not named Sedin, by a good margin too, if you don't think he'd make the Canucks top 6 that is fine, but don't be so quick to dismiss him.

And don't take this the wrong way, as OBVIOUSLY the Canucks top 6 is much better than the Leafs, but if you're looking at that 4th winger for Vancouver's top 6, the Leafs just have better options, with 2 of Kulemin, JVR, Macarthur, and possibly Kadri and Frattin playing on the wing for our second line. So saying he might not make the Leafs top 6 does not mean he would automatically not make Vancouver's.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to comment on his play or skill level, just that from what I've seen through his play in Atlanta and Buffalo, he seemed more of a skilled bottom six guy, someone that was set up by playmakers rather then doing the passing himself. If he's changed, excellent, watching a player in a new role is exciting, but in the Leafs games I did catch last year, I didn't see it. You're knowledge of him would out weigh mine, I mean the Leafs aren't the team I try to catch all 82 games for, but the last two years vs. my impressions before that is what I was trying to compare (not the point totals, but the goals vs. assists compared to the games I saw of him).

And I agree that being out of the Leafs top six doesn't automatically discount him from ours, but it's hard to call him a top six forward if he's lost his position to someone else (sorry, if it's not obvious, it's a dig at the Luongo thread).

My point on him not being a bonafide top six player on this team stands though, as he is, at best, a slight improvement on options already available to us. I'm not saying I don't want him, I'm not saying he isn't top 6 material, I'm not saying he's not talented or not valuable to the Leafs, but he isn't as valuable to the Canucks. I'd like him on this team, but not as the, or one of the, centerpieces in a trade where we move a star player.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote