Old
11-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I agree that for smaller players to make it in the NHL, they have to learn how to avoid taking a constant pounding. But I would still make the case that for his age and where we are in the season he shouldn't need a maintenance day.

Perhaps we are just talking semantics. I can see where a young, small player just learning the NA game could benefit from a night in the press box studying what he has been told and is experiencing, but having nothing to do with his physical condition.
No, I agree. I wasn't trying to disagree with you, so much as point out he's probably feeling the difference in the leagues. I wouldn't be surprised to find out, at all, that his on-ice performance the past three games had as much to do with him sitting out a game. Like you said, a young player like that doesn't usually need a maintenance day, and if we were talking about an injury that would keep him out of the line-up, you'd expect him to need more than just one night off.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably a combination. Hypothetically, say he tweaked something in the prior game. The coaches are also unhappy with his performance during the last three games. They give him the night off to pull himself together, but also for the so-called maintenance day. In essence, they scratch him for the game without letting people know he's being scratched.

Pure speculation on my part, and probably over-thinking it, but I could see the appeal. It's a good way to send a young kid a message without making it public.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote