View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Learning French

Not sure if there is a thread like this already, I'm guessing I'm not the only one on these boards trying to learn.

Started a distance-learning course about two months ago and I'm really struggling so far, I've learnt some basic vocabulary and how to introduce myself in a simple manner ("Je m'appelle Franck, je suis suédois, j'ai vingt-deux ans..." ), of course the fact that I hardly ever see my teacher doesn't help.

For those of you who have studied French for longer than I have, what suggestions do you have? Any good tips on how to pick up new words, memorizing etc? I've looked into watching French-language films, but so far the only thing I get from doing that is that I recognise the words I've already learned.

Right now I am working on an assignment where I am supposed to write a reply to a letter from a friend who has been in Quebec and is travelling to Paris and I genuinely have no idea what I am doing.
I've even tried cheating using google translate but that ends up being even more nonsensical that the things I write!