View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Bob Stauffer

vCash: 500
Thoughts on Canada West

Here are some thoughts on the Conference through the first third or so of the season.

Saskatchewan-Talented but quiet offensively. Nonetheless made the most of a home ice advantage sweeping Alberta. Food for thought... the Huskies have won the last 4 games that matter against the Golden Bears. The Huskies got the results, but do they have the process? The Huskies have a better record than I thought they would have right now, but haven't impressed as much as I thought they could.

Alberta-The Golden Bears have unbelieviable numbers so far this season. They have outshot their opposition by at least 10+ shots in every game and are +36 in GF/GA. This suggests they are actually better than their 9-3 record indicates.The Bears third line is now scoring and they have depth in case of injury. My prediction is Alberta will be first place in the Conference after the 2nd week in January, when Saskatchewan comes calling.

Manitoba-I saw both games in Edmonton played between Alberta and Manitoba. The Bears dominated them. I do think the Bisons will at least split with Alberta in December, because they are a "home show". I don't think Manitoba is as good as they were last season.

Calgary-They are well coached but lack depth at forward and struggle to transition the puck out of their own zone.

UBC-Best team they have had on paper in years. Can they keep up a pretty good start?

Regina-Can a team full of JR' A players run with the big boys? I think water will seek it's level shortly!

Mount Royal-Stole a game against the Bears earlier this season. We're out-classed in a return series. A big physical team that lacks scoring and needs saves.

Lethbridge-Greg Gatto is at the place that Dave Adolph, Doug Irwin and Bill Peters have been at before...coming to the realization that is almost impossible to win consistently in Lethbridge.

Bob Stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote