View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Multi-variable calculus can be challenging.

The one whose surname is filtered out to is one of those I'd like to work under at McGill, but there's also Kaspi or Rutledge for what is it that I want to do. One of the profs I had as an undergrad is a prof that collaborates with that guy on a regular basis.

For Tufts (and most US grad schools), subject selection can wait until one year into a PhD program, and American grad schools that offer Master's degree programs in physics are usually non-thesis. But for Canadian schools, you need to have at least an idea of what you want to work, as well as a supervisor, to actually matriculate at the MSc level, let alone the PhD level.

BTW, my dog is dead for attending an American PhD program, including Tufts, since I will not be able to take the Physics GRE on time and the earliest I could take one is in April and deadlines for Fall admission of international students at US schools are in December (Tufts) or in January. However, there is that prof at Tufts that somehow acknowledged that Quebecer undergraduate physics programs were rigorous, and even better than many American undergraduate BSc programs.

Plus, for the April Physics GRE, I have to go to either Kingston or to somewhere in upstate NY or Vermont to take it, since Montreal, which does have a GRE testing center, does NOT offer the Physics GRE (presumably since the Educational Testing Service thinks that most Quebecer students who want to go to grad school for physics are staying in Canada to do so, and no Canadian school in its right mind that offer Physics at the graduate level would ask for it). In short: I hate the ETS!
I took a GRE in physics at McGill in the Trottier building in the fall of 2006. The room was packed, I'm not sure why they got rid of it. I went through the joint honours program in math/phys, as far as I know all my classmates got 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, on the GRE, which is very high. I meet a lot of people from the USA who got 30s or so.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of your options. There are high-quality people at both the schools.

I know this is hard to believe: but try and focus more on the environment there than the prestige of the schools or the individuals or whatever. It does matter who your supervisor, but it matters a lot more who you are, so that means focus on whichever subject interests you more.

Last edited by DAChampion: 11-12-2012 at 02:35 AM.