View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 07:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I get what you're saying, but at the same time, Hovinen has shown nothing with regards to being a "dominant" goalie. He's big, but that's it. His lateral movement is horrendous and butterfly to stand up movement is incredibly slow. I know the common thinking is that he needs time to adjust to the North American game, but any capable goaltender can make that transition easily. Look no further than guys like Niklas Backstrom or Anti Niemi, two guys who made the jump from SM-liiga to North America. Backstrom spent no time in the AHL while Niemi spent time and made the transition seamlessly.

I'll admit that I'm rough on Hovinen because I really don't think he's going to amount to nothing more than a mediocre AHL goaltender. I'm also not the only person who thinks that and there are several scouts that I speak to who feel the same way. I honestly hope he puts it together and becomes a dominant goaltender, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. You'd figure that the demotion to the ECHL would be the thing to get his game back on track, but it's been the exact opposite. He's been terrible and other than a few big saves here and there, there has certainly been nothing great about his performance at all.

As for his hip surgery, he had his surgery back in May. That's nearly six months ago. His hip should be perfectly fine and he's had more than enough time to get himself back into game shape. There should be zero setbacks unless he's playing injured, which he isn't. So, this is clearly 100% on Hovinen in terms of his terrible play and he needs to put it together because he's an older prospect and his time is limited.
He's been hurt and badly outplayed by Wedgewood. But now Wedge is injured and Niko should get a chance to steal the starting job back. On top of that, he's still adjusting to the NA game. It's just **** luck that NJD decided to plop Wedgewood....a better goalie....into Trenton, and Niko gets Wally Pipp'd early. Regardless, the team in front of both of them is playing terrible right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
On a somewhat related note, what kind of a ******** league is this ECHL that a team plays the same team four times in a row?!
5 games in a row actually.