View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 10:01 PM
blackmarketmob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by northvanman View Post
With the OUA east-west cross-overs now complete, a somewhat clearer picture about the strenght within the league is starting to show:

1. The West had their way with the East this year, sporting a 25-10-1 record (a number of games went past 60 minutes, with the record for the East at 11-19-6). Two points separate 1st through 4th in the West, and 7 points separate 1st through 8th.

2. There does not appear to be a dominant team in the East, meaning there could be a tight and interesting race between UQTR, McGill, Ottawa, and Carleton. Toronto's early season run of no losses in regulation is looking more and more like they just had a good stretch of games. Still, they may end up in the mix for top spot as well.

3. Windsor sits atop the West at 8-2-0, altough they've had a fairly light schedule so far. But, they were strong down the stretch last year have continued to play well

4. After a slow start, Western seems to be finding themselves now having won 5 straight wins, including strong wins over both Ottawa and McGill.

5. Guelph was the team last year that I could never get a handle on. They looked good on paper but could not put wins together (that team this year seems to be Waterloo). Guelph looks good so far this year.

6. One of the most pleasant surprises so far is Laurier, who after a dismal year last year, are sitting at 4-5-1, including wins over Carleton and Windsor.
I am glad to see the OUA West improved after poor cross over results last year. All in all, I find it really tough to get a handle on which teams are truly better than the other teams. The order top to bottom to me is still very muddled, with most teams capable of beating any other team, as seen with Laurier (currently in last) with a win in their only meeting with Windsor (currently in first).

I watched Carleton on Friday. They are a very strong team, but have suffered from very poor goaltending. Their main starter is ineligible to play until after Christmas. I expect a strong second half from them and they will be my pick for nationals out of the East.

I agree with your assessment of Guelph. In terms of favourite for nationals, Lakehead is likely still it, but I will pick Guelph as my team that I think will achieve good things this year. Despite having 2 major junior goaltenders in Cody St. Jacques and Andrew Loverock, Guelph has suffered from poor goaltending statistics these past few years. Their team is fast and are now 5-0 with Brandon Maxwell in net, with him having a .937 save percentage and 1.85 goals against average. I would not want to play them in the playoffs.

blackmarketmob is offline   Reply With Quote