View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 10:40 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
Again averaging does not mean what you seem to think it means.
*rimshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
You keep citing Yzerman's great '89 season, but I don't recall having said one thing negative ITT about Yzerman or his great season, so I'm not sure what you think this proves.

Value-wise it equates to ~171 points in '82. My best guess based on ES/PP points is that Yzerman may have scored ~163 points in '82 if he had similar circumstances to '89.

One wouldn't need to score 124 adjusted points in '89 to have a chance at 150 at some point in the 80s.

I don't know what you mean by "pushed down". Intuitively, other higher scoring seasons makes Nicholls' season a bit less impressive. I may be understanding what you're asking, but if you removed those top 3 players' seasons, then it would lower the league avg. and increase Nicholls' adjusted PPG that season.
Mike Bossy had an adjusted 108 in 1982, and Gretzky 156. That suggests that 110 is the mark for the 81-82 season. And in that case, Milan Hejduk and Vincent Lecavalier are members of the 150+ club. Lindros is in a couple times also. Plus a bunch of the guys you mentioned.

But Mark Messier - whose career high points season just barely misses it - played that year and only posted 50-38-88 while on Gretzky's LW, as I said. That's an adjusted 38-26-64; Messier's fifth-worst season, after his rookie year and his last three years. Ye, he was even better than that in Vancouver. So clearly the "drag and drop" argument doesn't work; different players work better in different eras and situations. For example, Derian Hatcher in the DPE. He wouldn't/didn't work well in the 80s/early 90s and didn't after the DPE.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote