Old
11-11-2012, 11:31 PM
LPHabsFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Nada. Nothing.

Perhaps the IIHF could ban the players from international competition, but I doubt they'd have the guts to do that. Ban Ovechkin from the Olympics in Russia? Oh yeah, that's going to go down well.

International law? What, is Bettman going to go to the UN?

What is Hockey Canada and Hockey USA going to do? As far as I can tell, they don't have anything to do with whether a Russian player honors his contract or not.

And if the NHL could do something about it, they would. Absent a transfer agreement, they have nothing.
There's already an entire thread on this that was filled with much more intelligent and reasoned responses. However it seems as if bigger picture thinking might be lacking in this post.

The IIHF will face untold pressure from the NHL to suspend these players from International competition. Keep in mind that it's not a given that NHL players will attend as it's up for negotiation. I'd be shocked if there wasn't a provision put into the new CBA that NHL players can go provided NHL contracts are honored. I don't know how it would be worded but I'm sure it will be in there. And while the Russian Federation only has an MOU with the NHL, I'm fairly certain there are transfer agreements between the NHL and other national federations. Might get a little dicey if the NHL refuses to let all the other countries players from going.

And if you don't think that the NHL has a lot of influence within Hockey Canada and Hockey USA.....They can threaten to only hold the WJHC if Russia is not allowed to play. There are several things they can do if they choose to. Depends how much pressure there would be.

And the internation law comment is simply juvenile. I will admit that I don't know much about it however I do know it's not a simple situation.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote