View Single Post
Old
11-11-2012, 11:42 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Those are horrible lines, and a huge waste of Plekanec's offensive skills.
This guy is turning it up in the Czech league playing with Jagr, now he'd come back and be paired with two grinders (except for the Gionta one) in order to form a shutdown line?? That's absolutely retarded.

I think different lines must be tried during training camp in order to maximize our offensive capabilities. If that means breaking those guys up, so be it.
We had this one line last year, they lead us to the last place in the East, 28th in the NHL. Our offensive depth did not improve, so might as well mix it up and see what gives.
You can reunite them on the PP.

But if Plekanec, at the beginning of the year, with a healthy roster, is used as a defensive center next to guys like Moen, Prust, Armstrong or White, I will stop watching after 3 games.
I agree with your analysis, however, if:

- Put our two best offensive wingers with Desharnais
- Put our two offensive wingers who provide the most size with Desharnais
- Gives 3 minutes of power play time a game to the Desharnais line
- Give the most offensive zone starts to the Desharnais line
- Give the dzone and center zone starts against weaker opposition to the Desharnais line

Which is what this thread is about, that's the question of this thread, should we repeat that same experiment as last year as described in the five points above?

Then it logically follows we'll have Plekanec and Eller in shutdown roles with limited offensive opportunities.

Overall I agree with you. I don't think the opportunity cost of the Pac-DD-Cole line is worth it. For it to be worth it, Desharnais would need to be an ~100 point center like other centers who get the same privileges (e.g. Henrik Sedin, Evgeni Malkin), not a 60 point center. A first line of Pac-DD-Cole necessitates a second line of Prust-Plekanec-Moen or something like that, which leads to 28th place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Here's a crazy reason why, because Plekanec is our best center.
I agree with you, but I think that large swaths of the board believe that Desharnais has superior offensive abilities.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote