Thread: Sergei Fedorov
View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I don't know maybe because you can't ignore what Yzerman did before Fedorov arrived.
Oh, no mistake, props to Yzerman for that 155 point season, and there's no ignoring that which I watched for myself. Only thing is, I have trouble putting too much emphasis on numbers accumulated during a time when the top performing goalies in the league included John Casey, Kari Takko, Mike Vernon, and Steve Weekes, who were posting save percentages of 0.900, 0.899, 0.897, and 0.893 respectively at the top of the stats tables. Even Roy, the league leader, only managed 0.908.

Adjusted for league scoring, that season still holds up against Fedorov's big season of 120 points, but I watched both seasons, and know there was a difference in goaltending by '93/94, when guys like Hasek, Beezer, Roy, Brodeur, and Joseph all posted save percentages between 0.930 and 0.911. Yzerman noticed, too, and never topped 100 points again after the league scoring craziness of '92/93, despite not facing his serious knee problems for nearly another decade.

Quote:
Or the fact that He had more top 10 point finishes in that time period. Yzerman only had one less Selke and had a Conn Smythe. Yzerman was the leader of the team played at an elite level for longer.
Ever wonder if Steve Yzerman joined a team captained by Fedorov in Russia, would he ever have established the same reputation as a leader that he enjoys in the NHL? I doubt it, and I certainly don't hold that against Fedorov considering how well his production (regular, and particularly post season) holds up against Yzerman's. Similarly, no one really blames rare offensive talents for coming up short in accumulation races against guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, etc.

Yzerman was always my favourite of the two because he was "the leader" (of course), and because of how he always seemed to bounce back from injury (broken collarbone a few seasons before his "big one", his back problems that left Fedorov carrying the team for stretches in the early/mid-90s, the knee injury, etc), but I have never seen any great divide in their "calibre" or skills, and I watched '88/89 passionately - and then disappointedly - as a Habs fan and hockey player back in junior high.

Quote:
No matter what way you rank them I don't see the argument for Fedorov above Forsberg. Forsberg was just so much better offensively. What is the argument for Fedorov on your "best players" list? That fact that he had one amazing season? I think Sakic, Forsberg and Yzerman all Better and longer primes with similar peaks.
Literally the only thing that Forsberg was better at "offensively" than Fedorov was using his linemates. Fedorov was the better skater, the better shooter, and just as comfortable with the puck on his stick. Maybe a bit more imagination/creativity when it came to things like penalty shots, I suppose. Forsberg played a more physical style of initiating lots of contact which was no doubt entertaining to watch, but realize that even in Forsberg's best seasons (be it his 116 points in '95/96, or his 106 in '02/03), Fedorov was scoring ~10 more goals than him, and playing that style was part of Forsberg's "downfall" in the end, kind of like Lindros. Even playing that style, Forsberg was unable to get himself into nearly as many good scoring opportunities as Fedorov.

As such, there's only so much credit you can really give Forsberg for "what could have been" when it's realized that his career value doesn't quite stack up to Fedorov's, and efforts must be made to boost the profile of his prime. Double the goals on slightly over double the number of shots over these guys' careers, and Fedorov ends up with the extra Cup ring as well. That's just part of what I'd consider a strong case for Fedorov vs. Forsberg.