View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 02:58 AM
KevFu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
What does this have to do with the owners of the Toronto Maple leafs and other rich teams? Why should they have to pay all those millions due to mistakes made by owners of their direct competition?
Toronto voted yes to adding expansion teams in Tampa, Miami, Nashville, Columbus and Atlanta (and Anaheim, who's ineligible for RS)
Toronto voted yes to the Jets relocating to Phoenix (and the North Stars relocating to Dallas, who are ineligible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgruntled Observer View Post
if the leafs owners have to dish out an additional few dozens of millions of dollars for revenue sharing... wouldn't they just increase their ticket/hot dog/beer prices in order to make up the difference?

Increased revenue sharing is so unfair to the fans of rich teams that it's just sickening.
#1 - Because Leafs fans will pay those prices unless some major incident makes them stop buying tickets. An increase from $200 to $300 might make people question the expense of that kind of money on tickets. "I didn't like it at $200, but $300? I can't really afford that." But no one ever says "Well, I could afford $200, but $208? Where am I gonna get an extra eight bucks?"

#2 - Revenue sharing is 4.5% of local revenues. Tickets are less than half of local revenues. The Leafs raised ticket prices 3.5% in 2009. So, they kind of are increasing prices to "make up the difference".

#3 - Make up WHAT difference?

You are looking at this all backward. How much money did the Leafs hand out BEFORE revenue sharing?

59% of their revenues in 2004 went to the players. The Leafs got 41% of their revenues.

How much money do the Leafs hand out NOW?
4.5% of their revenues, into revenue sharing.
30.8% of their revenues to the players if they spend to the cap.
With Revenue Sharing, only 35.3% or their revenues went to the players

The Leafs' "Owners Share" jumped from 41% to 64.7% --- which is why they VOTED IN FAVOR of revenue sharing.

You can blame revenue sharing/poor teams/southern markets all you like. But it looks to me like the Leafs are screwing you over by putting profits ahead of winning; squeezing every dime they can out of their fan base while not delivering a quality product. And you keep paying for it.

Last edited by KevFu: 11-12-2012 at 03:12 AM.
KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote