View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Actually, reading up on Radulov, the IIHF initially suspended him from international play, but then lifted the suspension because they had no authority to do so.
This was discussed at length a few weeks ago in the following thread.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1268635

To summarize if a player did decide to break his NHL contract and if the KHL was willing to terminate the MOU then the player could almost certainly stay in Russia.

However the IIHF`s rules are pretty clear and that player would almost certainly be barred from playing in Sochi. The IIHF rewrote its Transfer Regulations after the Radulov incident and all its members including Russia, Canada and the US are bound by the new rules. The new IIHF Transfer Regulations specifically recognize NHL contracts and state that players who break them will be suspended from IIHF competitions. Also the IIHF Transfer Regs are not dependent on the MOU between the NHL and KHL, in other words terminating the MOU would not terminate or change the Transfer regs.

Basically the only way someone like Ovi could break his NHL contract and still play in the next Olympics would be if Washington agreed to it and I can`t see that happening.

The IIHF obviously wants the NHL to participate in their tournaments so I`m sure the NHL had some input on these new regs. There are links to the regs and other docs in the thread I posted above if you are interested in reading further.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote