View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 05:21 AM
NicoSB

vCash: 500
As much as I like your ideas and I would appreciate a Champions League(even if it's
only open for European teams) I don't see it taking place succesfully. There are waaaay to much problems.

1) As already mentioned, international hockey isn't popular at least in Switzerland but I'm sure this counts for several if not most countries. E.g. have a look at CHL 2009(?). What ZSC achieved was a miracle. They beat not only Swedish and Finnish teams but also defeated Metallurg, I guess. As it wouldn't be already enough they went forward for Victoria Cup (afaik there was NO prize money) defeating Chicago. Yes there was media presence in Switzerland, national TV broadcasting at least semi finals and stuff. But noone remembers it while everyone knows about FC Basel achieving a 3-3 at Manchester etc in 200x.
On the other hand there is Spengler Cup around Xmas recieving much presence in tv and Newspapers.

2) There isn't really an organisator with enough money. Since Gazprom stopped their sponsorship with CHL there has not been a "gapfiller". I don't see Gazprom rejoining IIHF since their engagement in KHL is big! So who is left interested and able to pay enough money? There is only Skoda in my opinion but their sponsoring in hockey is already big. So this leads us to the next problem:

3) Neither KHL nor NHL show a big interest in an international cup. KHL wants to be the "European Hockey League". A cup lowers their chance to achieve their goal imo, giving European teams the chance to compete in a prestigeful tournament.
NHL on the other hand might be afraid of losing their leading position in hockey. It is a show league, therefore a team has to play as much games as possible and playing without breaks to prevent disappearing from media. International games are less attracting since their niveau is (said to be) way lower. So breaks are bad for a market. I am not speaking about the true fans but about the long tail of unfrequent spectators. This market is huge and mostly in competition with other sports like Football etc. Without one of these premier leagues there is no force in a competition. E.g. who of you follows European Trophy (remember we are unrepresentiv!).

4.) Most teams struggle with their finances. Fligts in the USA or even eastern Russia are expensive and if there is no revenue out of away games, there is no interest in affording these expenses. On the other hand sponsoring COULD be more interesting since their reach doesn't stop at national borders. Hard to say.

NicoSB is offline   Reply With Quote