View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Have the people who wanted Finn at least watched him play a handful of times?

He's average sized(6'0'' 200lbs), an average skater and far from having a dynamic offensive side.

I don't see the intrigue of choosing a 6'0'', worse skating Smid over Moroz.
I actually agree. The Oilers have a boat load of solid defensive prospects. Choosing a guy who would likely not bring anything special to the table because he was ranked higher was not the right strategy. Especially if you look at the fact that they pick Laleggia later in the same draft. There is a guy who has less chance of being an NHL'er than Finn perhaps, but much more chance of being an impact player if he ever does make it.

It seems that the Oilers wanted Moroz and that they knew that he was likely to go in the first half of the second. I believe we heard at the time that they thought there was a team picking around 35 that was very interested. This was not viewed as a deep draft so it is not like their were a bunch of sure fire NHL'er sitting there unpicked. So why not take a flyer on the type of guy that could fill a big hole in the future, especially if you have almost no one else in the system who could do so.

The pick was a surprise, but I think it was perfectly reasonable given the circumstances at the time it happend.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote