View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 09:52 AM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I think with two relocations the NHL could improve and realign itself to become a much more logically built league combining traditional franchises with newer ones. I suggest Phoenix to Seattle (no brainer, even Shane Doan might like this move). Secondly Florida to Québec. My reaction to hockey in Miami is something along the lines of Dicky Dunn in Slapshot, or Roy L. Fuchs in Used Cars. Just doesn't jive. No matter the lease, Miami will always be a revenue draining market, as opposed to a revenue maker, especially ancillary revenue which is the basis for current revenue sharing.

If this happened you could maintain and reconfigure the current divisional setup to form an alignment like this:

WEST

Pacific

Vancouver
Seattle
San Jose
L.A.
Anaheim

Northwest

Colorado
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Minnesota

Central

Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas

EAST

Northeast

Toronto
Ottawa
Buffalo
Montréal
Québec

Atlantic

Boston
NY Rangers
NY Islanders
New Jersey
Philly

American

Pittsburgh
Columbus
Washington
Carolina
Tampa

I think each division then has its fair share of rivalries based on geography and tradition. The post 93 teams are balanced with more traditional markets. I suggest an 8-3-3 format instead of the current one to accentuate rivalries, and for the Western Conference to balance the burden of travel.
Expansion is nice if there is room for it, but I think with competing European and Russian leagues the NHL has to respect that it risks saturation of its talent.
Great job.