View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Crosby wasn't a "pass first" guy, imo. He was just really good at it. As balanced as they come, imo. Even cracked the top 20 in shots taken in his rookie year in the NHL. Did a bit more passing when someone of Malkin's calibre joined the powerplay, and instead of puck carrying so much after coming back from '07/08, but guess what? 5th in the league and 51 goals the next year. The biggest/most obvious changes in his game since junior is his attention to detail playing without the puck, not what he does when he has it.

While I don't think the comparisons at the bottom are necessarily far off at all, the bolded part cannot be stated as fact by any stretch. Different tools doing different things, and if anticipation, or "seeing the play happen before it does", tells us more than anything else about someone's "hockey I.Q.", then I submit that it's actually MacKinnon with the upper hand here.
But nate is a PURE goal scorer regardless, where Sid wasn't. His passing was unbelievable. So they still were different. Regardless, tough comparing guys style when skill level was way different.

Well hockey IQ is very subjective so I won't argue it much. At least I think we can agree both have very high IQ that should make them successful.