View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
And I will also say, a large part of drafting that gets passed over by fans is the organization's belief that they can fully develop a player. That counts more than almost anything. I remember when this team drafted Goligoski and people freaked out. They were comfortable in developing him, and because of that...he developed.

I think the same goes for Pouliot. He's an offensive defenseman and they feel they have the processes in place to help him reach his potential. He's also playing on a team they are quite accustomed to, and they were able to get a great read on him because I'm sure a lot of Pens brass watched Portland games this year.

I often think this gets overlooked. It'd be great to draft a guy like Grigorenko, or some other flashy European, but if the organization doesn't have confidence in developing him, it'd be more of a wasted pick than them taking a guy with less potential, but that player actually reaching his potential.

I also like when someone says, if Pouliot's last name was Pouliotov, people would be loving it. As the years pass and I read more public opinion here, I believe that to be more and more true.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote