View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Correction a few owners are to blame. There are a number of teams who have not given those contracts out and refuse to give them out. But I agree that the owners have to come off there stance on contracts a bit, the 5% decline is really all they need to get rid of the long term front loaded deals. Keep everything else the same. There is a deal to be made here, but I expect a bunch more complain until its signed.
I will agree with you that not all owners are to blame, and a 5% varience pretty much makes contract length irrelavent.

However, I think the one area where owners will stand firm is widing the gap between ELC and UFA. As it is now the owners find themselves giving out big long term contracts to guys comming off ELC before they are sure the player is actually worth it. If they shorten ELC to 2 years and push UFA out by a year you now have a 6 year gap instead of 4. So you can then sign the same player you were giving a 6 year contract at $ 5+ M under the old agreement to half that over a 3 or 4 year contract. Then you you can give out the big money to someone you now know is really worth it on their 3rd contract. Paying players on potential rather than actual performance is inflationary and both sides know it.