View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
To me, if the issue about retiring the number is this divisive - you don't retire the number.

I would think one of the considerations would be whether there is a mutial love and respect between the player and the fans. I don't think that's the case here.

He was our first superstar, our first individual award winner, the most exciting player in franchise history. He helped create "Canuck Nation" and helped drag the franchise from mediocrity to relevance. He had a Hall of Fame career, much of it in a Canuck sweater. Before the relationship soured, he was the most popular Canuck of all-time.

He also had one foot out the door from nearly the moment he arrived. He asked for a trade after his first season, asked for a trade for the next 5 years, and then finally refused to play for the team. He didn't want to be a Canuck. He refused the Ring of Honour. He deserted the team, and had no time for the city.

I know the Canucks aren't the most storied franchise around, but do we really have to send our owner to beg a player's permission to honour him? To grovel at the feet of a player who obviously has no love for the city or the team?

I understand the reasons for retiring the number. I do. He was my favourite player all those years ago. And in many ways, it would be pretty cool to see Pavel receive a standing ovation, to see Gino and Pat Quinn again. To forgive and forget, and to move on.

But something about it feels wrong.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote