View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 01:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I completely understand where you are coming from, but I don't think you are guaranteeing anything by being overly cautious with your top prospects. A player who reaches 50-70% after 2 years of development could end up being that same 50-70% player had they had 4 years of development. Maybe even worse.

I know everyone brings up Detroit as an example for how to develop players, but I really don't understand what they've done that was so different(as far as their timeframe when bringing players along. Obviously they have drafted differently). Here are just a few players:

Zetterberg(7th), Datsyuk(6th) and Kronwall(1st) all had 3 years of development before they made it full time; Jimmy Howard(2nd) had 2 years; Johan Franzen(3rd) had 1 year; The only player I found worth mentioning who took longer than 3 years was Filppula(3rd) who took 4; Even retired players like Lidstrom(3rd) took 2 years, Fedorov(4th) took 1 year, and Yzerman(1st(4th overall...same as Reinhart and one slot before Strome and Nino)) went straight to the NHL.

I don't think there is a team in hockey that has consistent success because they restrict prospect development for at least X number of years. It's all a crap shoot, taken with a wait-and-see approach.

I still think you are under the impression that I want Strome and Reinhart on this team next year no matter what, which isn't the case. They should be evaluated in camp, and based upon how they performed the year prior, and that should dictate whether or not they make the team. I have little doubt Strome will make it, but that probably has more to do with me being extremely high on him, and a little to do with me knowing this team probably won't invest in a center(or any kind of forward) on the UFA market.

I do doubt whether Reinhart will be ready, but I only question whether he will because of the kid's extreme size in regards to the league he is playing in. At that point next year, it may serve him better to start having him compete against men so he can really learn how to utilize his big frame, instead of letting him continue to physically dominate at the WHL level where he could potentially become complacent. Either way, I expect it to be a very tough decision no matter what the coaching staff chooses to do.

Bailey, yes. I was completely shocked when I found out he made the team in '08. As far as Nino goes, not necessarily. If I knew that the team was only going to use him in a 4th line role, then yes I would have waited longer. If not for the injury, though, I think he would have probably gotten an opportunity.

That said, I still think Bailey will become a very valuable player for this team. He's really impressed me in his time on the wing and love the potential that a possible Bailey-Strome-Okposo 2nd line brings. Obviously I would have loved for him to have gotten a little more seasoning, but as of now I like where he is at as a 23 year old NHLer.
What I want is to not mess with them until they are ready. Yzerman (above) should be compared to Tavares, not Reinhart. The "where they were picked" means nothing. The "when they were NHL ready" means everything. I'll also add the picks Detroit made were stunning. Those guys would have been ready year one for us or for Anaheim or Phoenix but would have taken two years with NYR and they took three with great development from Detroit.

In other words, I think you pay more attention to the stuff in between the pick and the 9 game tryout like Detroit does. But I guess we're not far off on that. I just want 100% ready in all aspects before we dangle the pro game. I want the low pressure minors to be all they get until they prove themselves. I hate nothing more in the game of hockey than the phrase, "they did all they could at that level."

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote