View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 01:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
I can understand the reasoning of having a secondary contract maxed at 5 years but not a UFA. That's not necessary to put on a UFA. Apply a 5% variance across the board for all contracts and that should fix itself in terms of front loading contracts. Keep the restriction proposed previously that teams that sign long term contracts retain a portion of the caphit even if the trade the player. That should make an owner really evaluate how he values an individual player's talent and if he's willing to take on the risk, he should be free to make those commitments to the player.

Daly said that the PA hasn't shown any willingness to move towards the league regarding contracting issues. To me, that doesn't sound like the league is truly unwilling to bend at all on those issues, it seems to me that the league simply wants the PA to open dialogue on those issues rather than say we aren't going to do any of that. Just my opinion that 5 year contract max is an issue that be taken off the table but I think the 5% variance is the issue what they really want.
The league is probably asking for 5 so they can move to 7, which is the insurance limit. That's something small market teams worry about a lot more than larger market teams, and affects the kinds of free agents small market teams can attract without taking on a huge level of risk themselves.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote