Old
11-12-2012, 03:45 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Thanks for the info.

I still see the IIHF bending under pressure on this one. Sure, with a tier two player they'd no doubt enforce. But if Russians are denied their elite players, the IIHF would have legitimacy problems. It's not exactly a strong organization to start with.

Makes me wonder how much longer pro players will be involved in Olympic hockey. Too many competing interests. And NHL owners sure have the ability to be nearsighted.
I think if the Winter Olympics always happened in Canada or the United States which I realize is only a dream and will never happen, the NHL would then be more willing to let their players play for their countries.

I remember in August 2010 Gary Bettman said the 2002 and 2010 Olympics were a great success because they were held in Salt Lake City and Vancouver. Plus the NHL got the Gold Medal game they wanted which was Canada vs United States.

However Bettman then said the 1998 and 2006 Olympics weren't that great. My guess is because they were held over seas in Nagano and Turin, plus the Gold Medal games featured Russa vs Czech Republic (1998) and Sweden vs Finland. (2006)

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote