Thread: Proposal: Van-Tor-Wsh
View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 04:06 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
I think you could cut Toronto right out of this deal, maybe.

If the assumption is that the Caps want:
  • A third line center to free up Brooks Laich
  • A couple of two-way wingers that can move the puck well and perform on a scoring line
  • A defenseman capable of playing above his current role

The Canucks might be able to make an interesting offer. How about this.

From Vancouver..
Manny Malhotra: almost certainly a bottom six player at this point in his career, Manny still has game even if he's not the player he was before his injury. Malhotra was nearly as productive last year (1.4 ES P per 60 minutes) playing decisively the most defensive role of any forward in the league as Bozak (1.6 ES P per 60) was playing between Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul. Malhotra has size, decent speed, unparalleled faceoff ability so you know he can still hold down a shutdown role.
Mason Raymond: you asked for him in the original prosposal so I guess he has value. In seriousness Raymond can play effective defense and contribute on the penalty kill even when he is not producing, and on the wing with a couple of big forwards he's proved he can produce well too. Obviously he's coming off a down year and is coming up on UFA so he's not a valuable asset but can certainly contribute in some respect.
Jannik Hansen or Chris Higgins: both gritty wingers who can moonlight on a scoring line in addition to playing excellent defense and being absolute puck hounds. To be honest I'm typing this out unsure if a good deal for the Canucks can be made, and giving up one of these to players is the reason for that.
Keith Ballard: after an atrocious first season as a Canuck, KB4 has steadily improved and looks once again capable of playing a top four role somewhere. He'll be stuck on the third pairing in Vancouver barring injuries but he finally looks like he's able to fit into a system rather than simply playing his own game.
Jordan Schroeder: obviously his size will always be a question mark but Schroeder has steadily developed and his game is headed in the right direction to eventually challenge for an NHL roster spot.

From Washington..
Marcus Johansson: a young center more than capable of filling the need in Vancouver for a versatile pivot who can fill in for Ryan Kesler in the short term while still good enough to stick with the team in a third line center role for the rest of the season - and enough upside to perhaps develop into a player that can replace Kesler or Sedin in the (very) long term.
Joel Ward: to be frank he has an ugly contract, but the Canucks don't have many forwards who have a knack for scoring goals and who can play in heavy traffic down low (even when the whistles are put away). His right handed shot is a plus for a team with just two (Kesler and Hansen) in the top nine.
Jeff Schultz: meh. Taking someone back for Ballard, frankly I'd rather keep Ballard but if it's necessary to include them to get a deal done I'd go for it.
Patrick Wey: 6'2 200+ lb right shooting defenseman having a respectable senior year at Boston College. Long odds on being an impact player at the NHL level but we'll take him.

Maybe a better deal for the Caps than the OP, they get Jordan Schroeder to make up for a slight downgrade (but better fit IMO) from Bozak to Malhotra and from Kulemin to Hansen/Higgins (which I don't think is a downgrade at all).

Schroeder is nothing to sneeze at as an asset and could replace what Marcus Johansson did for them this past season after this year when a job opens up (assuming Ribeiro moves on).

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote