View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't see how it is part of either Fehr or Bettman's mandate to care about "the game"... rather, they care about the specific business interests they represent.

But that said, it seems a little strange to many of us that things are going so poorly in the CBA negotiations... it seems like there is some "obvious" math that says the players are going to lose more/as much money by missing this season as they would by accepting the NHL offers, and that the NHL is at least at risk of losing some growing portion of it's HRR projections if it continues to alienate its customers by keeping the doors closed...

"The game" aside, the respective positions seem hard to justify. But I figure these guys are paid the big bucks to represent their business interests and must know a lot more about it than we do, because they wouldn't shoot themselves in the feet for no reason. They just wouldn't. Because it's about the money, the business. And that really is what they know and care about.
What I'm getting at is that Bettman has more riding on the future of the game than Fehr does, who has no connection to it at all. If the NHL as a business is not successful, then he's screwed.