View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Ernie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I think if the Winter Olympics always happened in Canada or the United States which I realize is only a dream and will never happen, the NHL would then be more willing to let their players play for their countries.

I remember in August 2010 Gary Bettman said the 2002 and 2010 Olympics were a great success because they were held in Salt Lake City and Vancouver. Plus the NHL got the Gold Medal game they wanted which was Canada vs United States.

However Bettman then said the 1998 and 2006 Olympics weren't that great. My guess is because they were held over seas in Nagano and Turin, plus the Gold Medal games featured Russa vs Czech Republic (1998) and Sweden vs Finland. (2006)
Yes, it's not a shock that the 2002 and 2010 Olympics were huge, both because they were in North America and the fact that the gold medal game was US vs Canada.

Oh yeah, remember when the US lost?

But sadly, doesn't look like the Winter Olympic games will be held in the Americas until at least 2026, or later. Wikipedia tells me that all the cities considering bids for 2022 are in Europe.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote