View Single Post
Old
11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Finishing 18th in scoring, including top ten in per game scoring, is still a quality year, particularly once Europeans emerged in the NHL. I don't see how the failure of a poor Rangers team to make the playoffs is relevant. I also have a different take on Lindros at the 2002 Olympics. He took on a low profile role on the fourth line and performed adequately, basically shoving his ego aside.
Would Joe Thornton have done any worse in the Olympics than Lindros? That's the thing right there, he could have been left off that team and no one would have made a fuss about it. He was 28 in the 2001-'02 season and everyone knew he was no longer an elite player anymore. The role he played on the Olympics is a testament to how far he dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Lindros was 18th in scoring in 2002, but by then, he was something of a perimeter player who wasn't providing much but scoring. He certainly wasn't the bull in a china shop Lindros that everyone remembers.
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Take aside the fact that he always could have done more, he did lead the entire NHL in playoff scoring in 97, final aside, so let's skip the Dionne playoff comps.

As well 57 in 53 during his time in the NHL playoffs ( 95-07 span) which includes his last 5 games when he was beyond done and playing less than 10MPG puts him 5th in Playoff PPG (minumum of 35 games over that time period)
Dionne had 49 points in 45 games. Lindros had 57 points in 53 games. Very similar statistically and if you throw in the fact that Lindros had teams who should have done more while Dionne was never on a Cup contender it looks even closer. That 1997 run was great - for three rounds. The performance in the final soured all the good that was done before. Let's face one thing here, Lindros does not have a good playoff portfolio at all. This is something that rarely gets brought up in these debates but his playoff resume hurts him.

Quote:
Once again 18th in scoring in a 30 team league is pretty darn good and as you rightly say he had dropped quite a bit but that was just one of his excellent seasons and now one of his 4 great or elite ones.

His 73 points in 72 games were only 4 players scored more than 80 points also tells us how close he was to the elite that year instead of your description.

As for that 02 NYR team not making the playoffs, look at it's makeup and tell me that Lindros was really the problem there.
I wouldn't call it an excellent season either. 2002 was one of those years where the forwards were weak. One 50 goal scorer, no 100 point men. Lindros was still 18th in scoring in a weak offensive year. Had it been the year on either side of it he is around top 30. Let's also take into account Miro Satan had as many points as him and Craig Conroy had more. That isn't a season for the ages and is something that shows just how far the mighty had fallen.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote